The Chapter Director Role
If you identify with a lot of the following then you might be a good fit.
- History of deep involvement as a startup founder or investor
- do you truly understand the startup experience?
- Passion for startup community development
- do you care about making an impact?
- Demonstrated ability to network effectively
- Speaking or event hosting experience
- How’s your poker game?
- you don’t need to be good at poker, but we do it a lot so it’s helpful for at least one Chapter Director to know their way around the game (or at least are eager to learn)
- Importantly, Startup Haven poker events are not about poker; they are about making meaningful connections among founders and investors. Fun, low-stakes poker is just one of the ways we help that happen. It is the chapter director’s job to make sure no one takes the poker aspect of the event too seriously. As such, it is critical that chapter directors do not take the poker game too seriously. Enjoying the game is terrific… but if winning is important to you then the chapter director role may not be a good fit.
Chapter Director Benefits
As a Startup Haven Chapter Director, you will be the cornerstone of a growing community of entrepreneurs and investors in your city. As Startup Haven’s local go-to gal or guy, there’s a little something in it for you as well.
- You’re network among founders and investors will be put on steroids.
- Every Startup Haven member in your city will know who you are and will have a reason to connect with you.
- You will have a blast.
- Everything we do, and everyone we do it with, is fun and/or interesting.
- You’ll be a real contributor to the success of entrepreneurs and the startup community in your city.
- If you don’t value this, then you may be in the wrong place.
- We cover you first two regular buyins at every poker event you host.
- It’s hard to play your best when you’re running the show so we try to take the sting out of those first couple of buyins.
Most Startup Haven Chapter Director are actively involved in their startup community, often as an active startup founder, exec or investor. So they’re busy. We do everything we can to make the role of Chapter Director as easy and efficient as possible. We have a logistics team to make sure all the nitty gritty event details are taken care of — like invitations, catering, equipment rentals, name badges, venue coordination, etc. Here’s what you can expect for your part.
- Up to 1 hour each week to help build membership
- Write some emails, send some LinkedIn messages, attend some other founder-oriented events.
- 1 hour check-in call each month
- This keeps us all moving in the same direction.
- One afternoon + evening each month to help run an event
- Setup tables/chairs, food, ice for the beer, count out the chips, etc.
- Assume to double up on this time commitment during the first few months while you’re learning.
- It’s not rocket science, but there are some moving parts.
- Finding great Chapter Director isn’t easy and it takes time and effort on everyone’s part to bring someone up to speed.
- So we ask for a minimum one-year commitment.
- Represent Startup Haven with integrity
- As the face (and the life blood) of Startup Haven in your city, all Chapter Directors are expected to uphold the purpose and mission of Startup Haven and to always act in a kind, professional and helpful manner.
- As a trusted facilitator for Startup Haven and it’s members, Chapter Directors are expected never to use Startup Haven programs or events, or their special access to Startup Haven members, for their own benefit or the benefit of any other individual or organization.
- Startup Poker 2.0 Apprenticeship
- If Startup Poker 2.0 events launch in your city, you will receive special training to learn how to run those events. Training will include review and discussion of educational content related to logistics, attending an event and co-hosting an event with an experienced Startup Haven host on hand.
If the Chapter Director sounds interesting to you, please take a moment to complete this simple Chapter Director Inquiry Form